10 August, 2010

Ella Tiene Fuego

The title of this mini-post is actually a pretty great song by Celia Cruz. I was going to post a link to the video so you could hear the song, but I felt a little awkward since they all contain scantily clad women whose hips don't lie. So you can do that on your own time if you wish. Though, I guess it would show you the mad dancing skills I plan to come back with...

Anyways, what I really want to get at is the Fuego part. Fuegos artificiales to be exact. Fireworks!!!
There are fireworks being set off constantly here. At all hours of the night and day, loud pops and booms from near and far fill the air. Between the fireworks, freakishly loud thunder, gunshots (JK Mom), and this weird popping noise my refrigerator makes every once in a while when it wants to cool down, I have done many startled jumps since arriving.

So why all of these fireworks? I think there is just always some type of celebration going on. Sunday we went to Mass at the church on top of the pyramid in Cholula. During Mass there were countless bangs of fireworks that sounded like they were being lit on the roof of the steeple. The other day, I got woken up at 5am with some out my window. Who celebrates what at 5am?
On further thought though, I think maybe they are the ones that have it right. We have so much to celebrate don't we? And it just makes it extra special to do it at ungodly hours of the night. So we can celebrate life, at all hours, with fireworks...or not!

Just some fireworks outside of our, so far, favorite taco stand, Tacos Israel. No big deal. 


Recently I have taken to celebrating by doing a dance in my room that I call "Mashed Posquito." It consists of me chasing mosquitos around the room and killing them with my bare hands. Its especially fun when they have just finished a feeding.

3 comments:

  1. No...MY hips don't lie! Did you know that you are hilarious? I am very entertained by the thought of fireworks going off at 5 am and you killing satiated mosquitos. I'm very proud of you for all you've gone through already down there! You are there for a reason (or many!) and keep keeping your head up!
    xoxo K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog. Kristin showed it to me so now I'm following. I believe the fireworks go off on big feast days of the church. I bet there were big ones for St. Lawrence on the 10th and St. Clare today. You should definitely bring that custom back here! Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ERICA! I found out how to comment! Anyways, I love reading this, especially Mexpandable Waistlines! You are too funny, I miss it! I will try to make one while I'm in London, so you can keep up with me and Jeps!

    ReplyDelete