28 October, 2010

Treek or Treeeet!

Lined up for the catwalk.
I sure woke up this morning to quite the treat. Well, to be honest, I didn't want to wake up at all, but I'm glad I did. I got to take a long morning walk down Camino Real, listening to music, thinking, and watching the world wake up. I was on my way to the preschool I go to on Friday mornings but today, seeing as it's not Friday and all, was special. The kids were celebrating Halloween! This holiday is pretty recently celebrated here, but the school, along with being bilingual, tries to expose the kids to other traditions and holidays etc. So, I scrounged up whatever I could to become Super Erica only to be shown up by a hoard of tiny humans dressed to the hilt!


The woman I report to at the school, Caro, had me announce everyone's costume as they entered the catwalk across the yard. There were lots of vampires and witches, with a few fairies, a Woody, a knight, some ghosts, and several "I-don't-know-what-this-is-so-I-better-make-something-up-which-is-okay-anyway-because-the-kids-can't-really-understand-what-I'm-saying-anyway"'s.
Who ya gunna call!? Ghostbusters!!!
After the modeling show, they started getting ready for a dance. The man in charge had a bunch of pieces of rope that he was showing the teachers how to loop. I thought he was making nooses and got concerned. But actually, they turned out to be Dematerializers from the movie Ghostbusters. Yes, they had learned a dance to the Ghostbuster song. It was epic.


After, classes went trick-or treating at other classrooms. Part of my usual roll is helping with english pronunciation (once or twice in an attempt of avoiding unintentional but obvious swearing), but the title of this blog shows how successful I was with that today. They were still some of the most adorable children I've seen in a long time.
Overall, it was a wonderful morning, topped off by stopping at the usual vegetable tienda and panaderia. Four bananas, two avocados, six oranges, and four eggs for 26 pesos (a little over two dollars). I love Mexico.

The class I mostly hang out with.



On the Halloween theme, tonight I had a new experience. All of my suitemates were going to the dorm halloween party and were insistent that I go. My only problem was, I didn't have a costume. Yes, this was a new feeling. I realized I was getting a little down and wondered why. It is because I am never without a box full of costumes and accessories that I can mix and match with. I literally had nothing. Not even a goofy hat or a shepherd's staff. So I went as a doctor. And now I am going to sleep in my scrubs. Goodnight!




Mexpandable Waistlines Express-

Mexican candy is strange...pretty much everything I have seen is covered in tamarindo and chili powder. Maybe that's an overstatement. I saw some Bob Esponja lollypops sin chili.

3 comments:

  1. You will just have to make use of that costume box twice as much when we get back to school! But for the record, I miss that Shepherd staff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine your panic....you have everything important in that box. I will never forget Dr.Freemans smile as you walked in with your stuff...LOoked like a fun day. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those kids look adorable! Don't worry -- we can dress up out of your costume box and have a reunited Halloween party before we go to the bars for our joint belated birthday parties.

    Love you!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete